Welcome back to the Celtics season tipoff countdown!
Each day, we’ll give a review of news surrounding the Celtics. We’ll also look back in history to see what happened on today’s date in team history (August 14th). To round out the day’s post, we’ll give you stats and fun facts related to the number of days remaining before the first game (62 today). Let’s get to it!
Recent Team News
Gordon Hayward sent Celtics fans into a frenzy with a video posted by his trainer on Monday. The clip shows Hayward throwing down a dunk over his training partner in the gym. Hayward continues to show big improvements in his rehab. Fans can’t wait for his return to the court in October. Here’s the tweet from trainer Jason Smeathers:
— Jason Smeathers (@smeathers5) August 13, 2018
On This Date
August 14, 2011: Celtics legend Satch Sanders is inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Sanders was drafted by the franchise in 1960 with the eighth overall pick. He played 13 seasons in the NBA, all with Boston. Sanders helped the team win eight championships in his time there, being a lockdown defensive presence. He then went on to take a role within the NBA offices.
- Kyrie Irving’s season Box Plus-Minus was 6.2. This is a stat determining how many points per 100 possessions a player contributed over a league average player.
- Daniel Theis’s True Shooting Percentage was 62%. This is a determination of shooting efficiency based on twos, threes, and free throws.
- The 1962 Celtics wrapped up their fifth NBA championship. The team went 60-20 and defeated the Lakers in the NBA Finals in seven games. The team was coached by Red Auerbach and was led by Bill Russell and Bob Cousy.
- Terry Rozier is listed at a height of 6 feet 2 inches.
- No Celtic has ever worn the number 62.
That concludes today’s Countdown to Celtics Tipoff. Make sure to check back here tomorrow as the clock continues to tick towards the 2018-19 season!