Welcome back to the Celtics season tipoff countdown!
Each day, we’ll give a review of news surrounding the Celtics. We’ll also look back in history to see what happened on today’s date in team history (August 6th). To round out the day’s post, we’ll give you stats and fun facts related to the number of days remaining before the first game (70 today). Let’s get to it!
Recent Team News
The over/under for the Celtics win total has been set at 57.5 in Las Vegas. This is the highest total in the Eastern Conference. Across the entire NBA, their over/under is second only to the Warriors, who have been set at 62.5. Both the Raptors and the 76ers sit at 54.5 wins.
On This Date
August 6, 2007: The Celtics signed free agent Scot Pollard. The center played sparingly in his one season in Boston, averaging eight minutes per game, two points, and two rebounds over 22 appearances.
- Jaylen Brown appeared in 70 games, starting each one and playing an average of 30.7 minutes per game.
- Brown also racked up 70 total steals last year.
- Marcus Morris attempted an average of 7.0 two-pointers per game, converting 47% of them.
- The 1970 Celtics fell far short of the playoffs, finishing with a record of 34-48. Rookie JoJo White made the All-Rookie first team, while John Havlicek made the All-NBA second team and the All-Defense second team.
- Devin Booker holds the record for the most points scored against Boston with 70 points. He accomplished the feat on March 24, 2017. The Celtics won the game by double digits, and many players took issue with how the Suns played to lose in order to run up Booker’s total.
- Luigi Datome is the only player to ever wear number 70 in green. He wore it in 2015 with the team.
That concludes today’s Countdown to Celtics Tipoff. Make sure to be back here tomorrow as the clock continues to tick towards the 2018-19 season!