Welcome back to the Celtics season tipoff countdown!
Each day, we’ll give a review of news surrounding the Celtics. We’ll also look back in history to see what happened on today’s date in team history (August 15th). To round out the day’s post, we’ll give you stats and fun facts related to the number of days remaining before the first game (61 today). Let’s get to it!
Recent Team News
The Celtics continue to get healthier as the start of training camp nears. Daniel Theis is nearing the end of his rehab. He told reporters Tuesday that he is almost ready to go full-throttle again. He said, “Now it’s just day by day, and I progress every day and get new stuff to do.” It’s encouraging for fans to hear this type of news. Everyone on the roster who was injured seems to be rehabbing well and getting ready to return to basketball.
In other news, Jaylen Brown appeared on Bloomberg TV on Tuesday. Not only did he talk hoops, but he spoke about technology, investing, and money. It’s clear that Jaylen is well beyond his years in wisdom, and he’s already thinking about his future. It will be intriguing to track what he continues to do outside the lines of the court.
On This Date
August 15, 2013: The Celtics traded Fab Melo and cash considerations to the Grizzlies for Donte Greene. Greene would never appear in a game for Boston.
- Kyrie Irving made an average of 6.1 two-pointers per game. He shot 54% from inside the three-point line.
- Semi Ojeleye shot 61% from the free throw line. He went 25 for 41 from the stripe.
- Kyrie’s True Shooting Percentage was 61%. This is a determination of shooting efficiency based on twos, threes, and free throws.
- The 1961 Celtics wrapped up the franchise’s fourth NBA Championship. Red Auerbach led Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, and Co. to a win over the St. Louis Hawks in five games to claim the title.
- No Celtic has ever worn the number 61.
That concludes today’s Countdown to Celtics Tipoff. Make sure to check back here tomorrow as the clock continues to tick towards the 2018-19 season!